BMW X5 SUV Overview
- Fourth generation of the original Sports Activity Vehicle on-sale in Australia from November, 2018
- Launching with two models, the xDrive30d and M Performance-powered M50d
- New generation BMW Operating System 7.0 and BMW Live Cockpit Professionalare the latest in infotainment
- Exterior highlights include the new BMW Laser headlight array, a choice of alloywheels up to 22 inches and 3D tail lights for a truly distinctive appearance
- Interior offers the highest level of comfort and practicality ever seen in X5
- Wide range of suspension options from sporty to comfortable, with specific xOffroad package available for the first time
BMW X5 Pricing and Specification
“Since its arrival, the BMW X5 has been a standard setter for the Large SUV segment,” said BMW Group Australia CEO, Vikram Pawah.
“Now into its fourth generation, the X5 embodies the spirit of BMW in Sports Activity Vehicle form, with sophisticated looks, amazing technology, impressive performance and true off-road capability,” he said.
The all new BMW X5 will arrive in Australia in November 2018, with the launch range including the X5 xDrive30d and M50d M Performance variants.
BMW X5 range pricing*
BMW X5 xDrive30d $112,990*
BMW X5 M50d $149,900*
BMW X5 Exterior
With clean yet strong lines highlighted by the assertive front-end design, the fourth generation BMW X5 SAV creates a bold first impression.
Short front and rear overhangs meld into sculptured character lines, while the modernised BMW Kidney Grille adds an imposing highlight, appearing to be sculptured out of a single element.
The fresh grille design also aids function of the air flap control that is located within. This control opens and closes independently, depending on the cooling system’s requirements, and thus maximises efficiency.
Distinctive lighting options add further to the all-new X5’s exterior presence.
Standard on the M50d is the latest generation BMW Laser headlight, which portrays a brilliant blue light in ‘X’ pattern; a modern interpretation of the traditional lighting array.
Moving to the rear, a three-dimensional, full LED lighting structure is evident and accentuates the strong character lines of the all new BMW X5. Trapezoidal exhaust finishers further strengthen the rear design.
A new Panorama glass sunroof is fitted as standard across the range and has 30 per cent more glass area than the predecessor, allowing more light into the cabin. Optionally, owners can equip the X5 with the ‘Sky Lounge’. Incorporating LED lighting graphics with approximately 15,000 illuminated
BMW X5 Interior
Entering the all new BMW X5 introduces a fresh interior design language that combines high sophistication with the commanding driving position that BMW’s X range is renowned for.
The all new BMW X5 introduces the BMW Live Cockpit Professional system, which builds on BMW’s innovative infotainment reputation.
Strikingly, the interface uses two 12.3-inch high-resolution colour displays – one for the digital instrument cluster, the other as a ‘Control Display’ – which gives the appearance of merging into a single unit.
Live Cockpit Professional can be accessed via its touchscreen capability, the familiar iDrive Touch Controller, via natural voice control or with BMW’s Gesture Control.
This intuitive system is standard on all variants of the BMW X5.
A third-generation of BMW’s Head-Up Display integrates with Live Cockpit Professional to provide all the information a driver requires.
Crafted with high-quality materials, the interior design heralds a new ‘X’ interior design language.
Standard sports seats, electrically-adjustable with memory function, are trimmed in ‘Vernasca’ leather. The new seat frame provides a longer backrest, while side and backrest bolstering provide impressive lateral support.
A ‘Travel & Comfort’ system introduces 2 x USB connections in the front-row seat backrests, taking the total USB connections to four.
BMW X5 Exterior Refined dimensions
Compared to its predecessor the all new BMW X5 is 36mm longer, 66mm wider and 19mm taller, while the wheelbase is an impressive 42mm more expansive. This latter figure particularly benefits accommodation for second-row occupants.
The rear tailgate splits into two sections, with each segment electronically actuated for the first time, easing access and aiding practicality. Luggage capacity is 645 litres, expanding to 1,860 litres with the second-row seats folded flat.
BMW X5 Exterior Ride and Handling
Augmenting the standard suspension offers are a number of alternatives.
Optioning the M Sport Package for the BMW X5 xDrive30d introduces sportier suspension settings with specific damper tuning. Comfort and Sport tunes are more dynamically focused.
Both BMW xDrive30d and M50d variants can be optioned with an Adaptive 2-axle air suspension package. This introduces a self-levelling pneumatic suspension setup that can be adjusted to five different ride height levels, with a total sweep of 80mm (40mm higher or lower than standard height).
This function is activated via the new ‘height control’ rocker switch that is located on the centre console. The rear of the vehicle can also be lowered via a lower tailgate button, to aid rear compartment loading.
Where conditions permit, this system can automatically lower the vehicle to maximise aerodynamics and stability at speeds above 140km/h.
A further development of the pneumatic system is unlocked via the new BMW xOffroad Package. Available exclusively for the xDrive30d, this combines the 2-axle air suspension layout with further electronically-controlled driving modes that are tuned for specific off-road situations.
BMW X5 Individual options
The all new BMW X5 will be available in two non-metallic and five metallic exterior paints. In addition Sunstone Metallic, sourced from the BMW Individual collection, is also available.
Five no-cost option interior trim finishers, along with two BMW Individual options (fine-wood Ash Grain in high-gloss silver Grey, or Piano Black) provide further personalisation.
Fitted as standard across the range is high-quality ‘Vernasca’ leather upholstery in a choice of five colours. BMW Individual can also supply an extended ‘Merino’ leather upholstery in a range of four colours.
Finally, an impressive eight alloy road wheel choices are available for the xDrive30d. Fitted as standard with a 20-inch V-spoke in Bicolour ferric Grey, there are two no-cost 19-inch options, an alternate 20-inch for no cost and four 21-inch alternatives (at extra cost).
The imposing M50d comes standard with a 22-inch V-spoke in Cerium Grey, with two additional 22-inch options available at no cost. These two are also available for the xDrive30d.
BMW X5 xOffroad Package
Available on the xDrive30d, the BMW xOffroad Package makes its debut and is available from start of production.
Featuring aluminium underbody protection elements and the 2-axle air suspension system with an electronically-controlled rear differential lock, the xOffroad package also introduces an additional ‘off-road’ rocker switch to the centre console.
This rocker allows the driver to cycle through four specific modes, each with its own ride height, xDrive, steering, accelerator, transmission and DSC system specifics: xSand, xRocks, xGravel and xSnow.
Additional information is received to the cockpit via xView. Using the in-car Control Display, xView shows tilt angle, height setting and current off-road mode. Off-road specific camera perspectives aid all-round vision.
BMW X5 xDrive30d: The stalwart
The all new BMW X5 is introduced by the xDrive30d, the latest iteration of what is traditionally the most popular X5 variant in Australia.
Powered by the latest-generation 3.0-litre turbocharged diesel engine, the xDrive30d generates an impressive 195kW and 620Nm of torque. Zero to 100km/h is achieved in 6.5 seconds. Variable turbine geometry and CommonRail direct injection ensure crisp response, performance and efficiency.
This impressive diesel engine is paired to an eight-speed sports automatic gearbox and drives all four wheels via BMW’s xDrive four-wheel drive system.
The new X5 xDrive30d’s chassis is offered as standard with a steel suspension system.
This double-wishbone front and five-link rear suspension system features Dynamic Damper Control, which can be adjusted between Comfort and Sport modes at a touch of the Driving Experience Control cockpit switch.
Standard equipment for the BMW X5 xDrive30d includes:
- Comfort Access system
- Ambient Light with six configurable lighting arrays
- Driving Assistant Professional, including:
- Parking Assistant Plus, including Rear View Camera and 3D View
- Connected Package Professional, including:
- Active Cruise Control with Stop&Go function
- Front and rear Cross traffic warning
- Steering and Lane Control Assistant
- Lane keeping Assistant with Side Collision Warning Crossroads warning
- Evasion Aid
- Connected Package Professional, including:
- Remote services, Real-time Traffic Information, Apple CarPlay and Concierge Services
- Storage compartment package
- ‘2.5’ zone Automatic air conditioning with auto recirculated air control, microfilter, active carbon filter and solar/fogging sensors
- Through loading system with 40:20:40 split
- DAB+ digital radio tuner
- 10-speaker HiFi Loudspeaker system
- Adaptive LED headlights with High beam assist
- LED front fog lights
- Rear LED taillights
- Electric exterior mirrors, heated, with electric fold function
- Interior mirror with anti-dazzle function
- Rain sensor with automatic wiper and headlight activation
The X5 xDrive30d features the strong xLine trim package as standard:
- 20-inch light alloy wheels, V-spoke style in Ferric Grey with run-flat tyres
- Sport leather steering wheel
- BMW Individual Exterior Line and roof rails in Aluminium satinated
- Chrome kidney grille frame
- Aluminium ‘Mesheffect’ dark interior trims
- Satinised aluminium Air breather surround
- Illuminated xLine door sill finishers, front
- xLine-specific exterior air inlets
- Dual chrome trapezoidal exhaust pipe finishers
- Stainless steel-style underbody protection
- xLine-specific key with chrome highlights
The renowned M Sport Package, which accounted for over 80 per cent of the predecessor model’s sales, is available for $4,000* (including LCT and GST).
M Sport Package highlights include:
- 20-inch M light alloy wheels, Star-spoke style in Bicolour Orbit Grey with run-flat tyres
- M Sport brakes
- Adaptive M Suspension
- BMW Individual roof rails in high gloss Shadow Line
- Aluminium Tetragon interior trims
- M Leather steering wheel
- M Aerodynamics package
- BMW Individual high-gloss Shadow Line exterior finishers
- BMW Individual Anthracite headliner
- M door sill finishers, front
- M Sport pedals
- M Specific instrument displays
- Air Breather in high-gloss black
- M Sport specific exhaust pipe finishers
- M exterior designation
- M Sport specific key with blue highlight
BMW X5 M50d: The performer
Joining the X5 xDrive30d in Australian showrooms from launch is the X5 M50d M Performance model.
Featuring a quad-turbocharged version of the 3.0-litre six-cylinder diesel engine, the M50d offers monstrous performance, peaking at 294kW and 760Nm for a zero-100km/h time of only 5.2 seconds.
Coupled to a specifically-tuned eight-speed sports automatic transmission and xDrive four- wheel drive system, the X5 M50d also adds an M Sport Differential for the rear axle to further aid traction and performance.
The BMW X5 M50d also benefits from a new Adaptive M Suspension Professional system, which includes cutting-edge anti-roll stabilisation as well as Integral Active Steering, the latter capable of steering the rear wheels for enhanced stability and agility.
Other key specification highlights above the xDrive30d include:
- 22-inch M light alloy wheels, V-spoke style in M Bicolour
- Soft-close door function
- Four-zone Automatic air conditioning
- BMW Individual leather instrument panel
- Front cup holders with heat and cool functions
- Seat lumbar support
- Front seat heating
- 16-speaker Harman/kardon Surround Sound system
- BMW Laserlight with BMW Selective Beam
- Metallic Paint
- M Sport brakes with blue calipers
- M Aerodynamics Package
- Cerium Grey ‘M Performance’ exterior elements
By model: Performance and efficiency
|X5 xDrive30d||3.0L turbo 6-cyl diesel||195kW/620Nm||6.5sec||TBC||TBC|
|X5 M50d||3.0L quad-turbo 6-cyl diesel||294kW/760Nm||5.2sec||TBC||TBC|
|Load capacity||645l to 1,860l|
Condition Based Servicing
All maintenance requirements for the all new BMW X5 are controlled by the Condition Based Servicing (CBS) system.
With CBS, sensors and advanced algorithms monitor and calculate the conditions in which a vehicle is used, including mileage, time elapsed since its last service, fuel consumption and how a vehicle is driven. Based on the information captured, maintenance requirements are determined, identifying whether an annual vehicle inspection or oil service is due.
Selected BMW service and maintenance costs can be covered by a single, one-off advance payment with BMW Service Inclusive (BSI), which is available in two packages: Basic or Plus.